Friday, January 31, 2020

Bourbon Street, New Orleans


"Excuse me, sir, I bet I can tell you where you got those shoes, the city and state." My husband Bill said, “I know your secret.” The man laughed and said, “You've been around.” We laughed because the truth was that we hadn’t “been around.”  I just heard that story from a friend two days before we left and shared it with Bill.  {You are supposed to think this person is going to guess where you bought your shoes.  You bet with him, and he says, “You got your shoes in New Orleans, LA.”  You just lost the bet, and he won your money!}  I was surprised that we were approached for the shoe scam line the very first night in New Orleans! 

Bourbon Street, New Orleans, wakes up at night! As my husband Bill and I walked down Bourbon Street, he said, "You have to be here to believe it." The street was alive with loud music played by different bands, crowds of people walking the streets drinking out of plastic cups, in and out of bars, watching street performers, and just partying. 

Women stood outside of strip clubs in skimpy outfits and thongs to lure people inside. One girl stood wearing a thong, back turned to the crowd, and jiggled her booty to attract attention and tempt people to enter.  I almost took a picture of that but didn’t want to make a spectacle of myself, the tourist that I am!


After walking up and down the street several times, we entered a bar that hosted a New Orleans jazz band.  Some of the women stood up from the tables and danced to the music.  The lead singer called out to a woman from Seattle, Washington.  He called her “Sleepless in Seattle” and beckoned her to come up to the stage to dance with him.  The two danced well together and provided entertainment for the rest of us. 

As we were walking along Bourbon Street, people were throwing down different colored beaded necklaces from the balcony above Pat O’Brien’s bar. I felt compelled to pick up some from the ground to wear, so I did.  

We walked by a strip joint where three girls stood by the door in their skimpy attire.  One girl was sticking out her behind, and the other girl was putting her hand next to it to coax people in for their show. 

Further down, a street performer was posing as a construction worker taking his place on a ladder without moving.  People dropped coins in his bucket as they passed.  

Further on, a drag queen saw me taking her picture, so she posed and then asked me if I got it.  I said, "Yes", and she walked over to invite us in to watch a burlesque show. We didn't go in, but I took the brochure that she handed me of the show.


We walked into Sing Sing, a hole in the wall dive bar, and listened to the upbeat jazz band. The bar required a one-drink minimum as most did. The upbeat jazz music enticed people to get up and danceThere was a lively crowd at this bar; we enjoyed the atmosphere and the drinks.

All-in-all, Bourbon Street was a memorable experience in New Orleans! 

No comments: